Free School Meals
Who can get free school meals
All pupils in reception, year one or year two in primary schools are entitled to Universal Free School Meals.
Children in other years could get free school meals if you get:
- Universal Credit with a household income of less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- Income-Based Jobseekers' Allowance
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, not entitled to Working Tax Credit and
householdincome less than £16,190
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Income Support
- Working Tax Credit 'run on' – the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you finish work
Tell us if you get any of the above benefits as your child’s school can get extra funding, called pupil premium
Free school meals can save you hundreds of pounds a year. If you receive benefits, your child could also get free milk, contact your school to find out what arrangements they make for school milk.
Who can register for
If you receive one of the above benefits that entitle your child to free school meals, you can also register your eligibility with the council so that the school can benefit from additional funding, called pupil premium.
The pupil premium gives schools extra funding to raise the achievement of some pupils. This is measured by the number of children eligible for free school meals based on the above qualifying benefits. It is worth over £1000 per pupil for the school your child attends.
In reception, year one or year two
If your child is in or starting reception, year one or year two you do not need to apply for free school meals. Just contact your child's primary school to check what they need to do to get their free meals. However, if you get any of the above benefits please register your child so the school can benefit from pupil premium.
Your child's free school meals will stop at the end of year two unless you receive the above qualifying benefits and you have already registered your child with us.
To apply online and more information
To apply by telephone
Call the Area Education Team
01254 220 715
01254 220 709
To apply by post