When a child receives a free school meal there is additional funding allocated to schools for children who are registered as being entitled to ‘free school meals.’ This funding is known as Pupil Premium and is a substantial amount of money. Once a child is registered your child will receive funding for the next 6 years in school. Pupil premium funding is used to support your child’s learning. School uses the money to provide teaching assistant support, educational resources, clubs e.g. music lessons, sport groups etc. Your child benefits greatly from this extra funding and enables them to progress in many ways.
Parents must register for free school meals.There may be some children at St. Joseph’s School who are entitled to Free School Meals but their families do not register. I must emphasize that registering is very important and I ask you to look into whether you are entitled.
Are you entitled to free school meals?
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
All details relating to registered families are confidential and children are not identified. Can I strongly urge you to register your details if you believe you may be entitled to Free School Meals to ensure this extra funding (Pupil Premium) comes to the school to support their educational needs.
Details available at:
To apply, or gain more information, please read the supporting leaflet or contact Mrs Beech in the school office or your local Area Education Office on 01254 220710.
Pupil Premium 2022-23
Pupil Premium 2021-22
Pupil Premium 2020-21
Pupil Premium 2019-20
Pupil Premium 2018-19