At St. Joseph’s Catholic Primary school we embrace the value of Physical Education (P.E.). We fully hold on to the aims of the national curriculum for physical education and our aims for all pupils are
- Develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- Are physically active for sustained periods of time
- Engage in competitive sports and activities
- Lead healthy, active lives.
- PE is taught at St. Joseph’s to all classes for 2 sessions per week. The range of topics include fundamental movement skills for key stage 1 moving to sport specific in key stage 2. In Key stage 2 PE lessons throughout the year include gymnastics, invasion games, dance, swimming, outdoor and adventurous, striking and fielding games. Teachers and qualified coaches teach and adapt lessons to provide opportunities for all pupils to be physically active.
- Personal goal setting and self-evaluation are encouraged. Core tasks are used for summative assessment at the end of units of work.
- Outside of taught PE, children are encouraged to be physically active on the yard, on the grass, on the equipment and on the running track. This is supported with equipment and playground leader activities.
- The progressive nature of the units of work, ensures progression in skills and game play. Children develop competence in a broad range of physical activities. The whole school approach to being physical for life is embedded across the school and passed on through the year groups, with the older children taking on leading roles. Children take part in participation and competitive sporting events, both on-site and off-site where the values of fairness, encouragement and respect are embedded.
At St. Joseph’s we aim to ensure that all our children develop their physical potential through a variety of sporting activities. We have been awarded the Gold School Games Mark, a Government led awards scheme launched in 2012 to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community. St. Joseph’s Catholic School takes pride in being able to offer many opportunities for our pupils to enrich and enhance their lives. All pupils are encouraged to take advantage of the extra activities which are available, as we realise that sport features highly in the lives of a great number of our pupils.
For those children who do not win a place in a school team there are school inter-team events and fun activities for them to be involved in to ensure equal opportunities and enjoyment for all. Where a team is selected to represent the school, then this will be the strongest team the school can field in recognition of the competitive nature of top-level sports. Each year we enter into a number of team and individual events where high levels of sporting achievements are reached by a significant number of pupils.
Go Velo Key Stage 1
The Reception children in school had the opportunity to practise their cycling skills with Go Velo.
Athletics Team Win Gold!
The Year 3/4 athletics team produced a fantastic performance at Pendle Vale to win gold. The competition was held within our local 'family' of schools and it was a very close result. Well done to all the team for this amazing achievement.
Athletics at Fisher More
Children from St. Joseph's took part in an athletics competition at Fisher More where they came 2nd overall. Well done!
Our netball team have been playing fixtures on a Monday night against other local schools as part of the School Sports Partnership. They played consistently well, great passing and movement, working really well as a team. Great ambassadors for St Joseph’s. Well done girls.
Go Velo visited the school and worked with children in Key Stage 2 on their cycling skills.
The children had the opportunity to go out onto the roads around school and learn how to cycle confidently and safely in today's traffic conditions.
We were blessed with good weather for our annual sports day on the 18 June. Our house teams took part in a variety of races and it was a very close run result with Weets and Bouldsworth tying for first place. Well done everyone!
Hockey at Marsden Heights
An amazing evening at the hockey tournament. The Year 5/6 team played really well, winning their pool, putting them through to the semi-finals. They got right to the final and came home with the silver medal! Very proud of them all! Well done!
Athletics Final Year 3/ 4
A big well done to the year 3/4's in their athletic final at Pendle Vale. All the children were amazing finishing in a superb 2nd place!
A dodgeball event was held at Fishermore, with a group of year 4 taking part. It was a superb night, all the children played well, showing some great skills and amazing teamwork!
Athletics Year 3/4
What an amazing night the year 3/4's had at Fishermore, taking part in an athletics event. All the children were fantastic, with great determination and team spirit! Final result 1st Place!